Sunday, October 02, 2005

Next Stop: Federal Treasurer

I don't want to turn this into a "I'm renting and now I'm poor" type of a blog, but seriously, I'm renting and now I'm poor. In fact, I'm just working out how I'm going to stretch $150 over two weeks, which includes petrol for the Love Chariot (TM) and a week of holidays.

Okay, I admit. Poor isn't 3rd world poor where there is like only rice and dubious drinking water and bloated bellies. My belly is big enough, thank you. I am still able to afford relative luxuries like my kickboxing sessions and hot pink keys for my apartment. It's just that, having gone from a relatively good income each week to the bare minimum in spending money takes a bit of getting used to.

I'm still in the mindset of seeing a cool top, or some shoes, and just buying them. Now, I have to sigh, and fondle them for a few minutes, then walk on, with just the memory in my head. Imagine going to the Vic Market and seeing 100 cool things to buy but walking away empty handed because 'you're on a budget'. Oh, boo hoo!

In an end to self pity, I've decided to make budgeting fun! That's right. Fun, kids! Fun for me was discovering a pack of 4 pocket-sized notebooks with colourful plastic colours, for $2.99. Pink, Green, Blue and Purple. How exciting. Just like the alternative 'Four Colour Pens' they used to make way back, when the standard blue, red, black and green didn't do it for you. *Sigh* I miss those pens.

I started with purple. I think I'm going to save the pink one for a 'special' budget. I've already budgeted up to the end of January. (Let me tell you, Santa's not going to be 24-hour Christmas shopping at Chadstone). There's a page for every week, and I've accounted for every last dollar. There's allowances for savings (although that might turn into shoe money, see how we go), petrol, phone, spending and if I'm really good, I can order my lunch on Fridays!! Hurrah! See, it's fun already. I only have to learn how to stick to it.

Perhaps cutting out $8 hot pink keys would be a good place to start.

2 comments:

Hambo said...

Martie, Martie, Martie...

I thought you would of turned on the Word Verification feature.

Anyway, I to love budgets. I have a speadsheet (lols spread) on my computer that lets me keep track of both all my bank accounts and places where I keep my money (Wallet and money box (lols box)) to all the bills I have to pay. Because I listened to the computing teacher in year 11, when I change any detail on the spreadsheet it updates the grand total. Currently Im in the red by atleast $1000. Sweet. I plan on knocking half that off when I get my tax back.

Back when I was in Canberra, I had a little notebook that I took everywhere which would contain my budget. I was trying to save up atleast $2000 for "Just in case" stuff. Well Im still trying.

Gotta look into a few things. One day I'll have a bit of money to waste.

Desci said...

Thank GOD I'm not paying rent @ the moment. My budget is for 'fun stuff' and 'saving' but, considering I make... no money (well, almost no money) 'fun stuff' is 'movies and taxis, public transport tickets, food and phone bills', not 'holidays and video projectors'. bah.